Back To Flat, Part 2.5

Man, I caught it. I can’t beLIEVE I caught it. I took all the necessary precautionary measures and yet, still….

Y’all know that monster flu that went around this past Winter season? The one that had grown men crying like babies and grown women praying for death? I caught it. And let me tell you, it was–and still is–one of the most awful flus I have ever had.

I’ve been very fortunate in that this was only my third time having had the flu, but when I’ve had it previously I had a high fever for a couple of days that I tended to with acetaminophen and in four days I was back to almost normal. Not this time. I awoke on a Sunday morning with neck pain similar to what I get when I sleep in a strange position. I figured it was just that, took some ibuprofen and went about my merry way. By bedtime that night my aches had returned as glandular neck aches (I now realize because the medicine had worn off) and I went to bed with a 102.5 fever. Still in partial denial, I took some acetaminophen and went to sleep planning my work outfit for the following day.

That Monday morning I woke up and my whole body hurt. I could not have moved if I wanted to. My voice was recognizable but weak. My fever had subsided a bit but was still over 100. My son, who woke up next to me (note to self: boy needs to sleep in his own bed more), seemed to be okay.  Except he had a cough that attracts all those shady looks when you’re out in public and your child sounds like they’re sick. I told hubs the boy and I would be staying home that day, put the tablet within my son’s reach, sent a quick phone email to work to announce I’d be out for the day, and closed my eyes to pray for relief when I awoke.

Relief had not come by that Tuesday morning. My son also still had a nasty cough. Hubs could not take off work so it was me and the boy again. I set up our camp that day down in the den–me on the couch alternating ice packs to soothe my neck, and Netflix cartoons on the TV all day for my son who was still showing no physical signs of being sick. Thankfully I already had a doctor’s appointment scheduled for a different reason for later that afternoon. Hubs came home from work early to pack us up and drive me to my appointment. This post’s picture is me sick as a dog in the patient’s room–no makeup, no contacts, no shower for days. Thankfully the picture is not scratch and sniff! I returned home armed with Tamiflu, Zithromax, and a doctor’s note to cover my time out of the office.

Wednesday morning I felt SO much better–the medicine from the doctor was working–but I was still very sore and weak. My fever had broken in the night and left me very brittle; I felt like I’d been fighting an entire war by myself. Come to think of it, I guess I sort of was–my immune system, at least! After sending my boys off for the day, I settled myself on the couch again. I was finally able to sit up without so much discomfort and the thought of food sounded good again.

Long story short, I was at home all week. By Tuesday of the following week I still did not have the stamina to work an entire day in the office. By that Thursday I was still getting incredibly dizzy and nauseous; I returned to see my doctor who informed me I still had fluid in my left ear causing the vertigo feeling. He ordered me to take Dramamine and do some exercises specifically targeted at helping the fluid to get out for good.

It’s now Tuesday evening, 16 days after I woke up with neck pain. I still have fluid in my ear and am still getting dizzy. Some smells and the thought of some of my favorite foods make me want to vomit. I have not done any tummy exercises or running since I’ve been sick. I missed the mud run and obstacle race I was training for; Hubs ended up doing it with the other friend of ours who’d also signed up for it. They had so much fun (bitches(I mean that lovingly)) and want to do it again next year for sure, at which time our friend said she’s going to quarantine me for two weeks before to insure I can do it.

I’m mad about this setback but, what can I do? I was forced to be in my house and do absolutely nothing, which is very hard for me. I cannot run or do my exercises because being dizzy and nauseous don’t go well with those activities. I’ve been smoking the occasional bud flower (no judging, it’s now officially legal in Los Angeles) which helps cut the nausea and ups my appetite. I’m hoping the fluid will be gone by Monday so I can get back to some very mild running and all my tummy exercises.  I have a race in just over four weeks that I will probably not be a record-breaking day for me, but I’ll be doing it in my hometown #Cincinnati with family and friends so it will be fun no matter what kind of shape I’m in at that time.

In the midst of everything I still looked for the positive to have my gratitude moments (it’s the Secret, remember?  If not, see my post about that here:  

I was thankful I have a working spouse so I could take time off work to fully rest myself. I was thankful my son was better by my third day being sick so he could go back to preschool and I could REALLY start to fully rest. I’m thankful I have health insurance that covered the majority of the cost of two trips to the doctor and three prescriptions to get me back to health. And of course, I’m thankful I didn’t lose my life because of this flu like so many others did this past season.

Hopefully my next update will feature some more sideways comparison pics as I hope to have all this behind me soon. Fingers crossed! Until next time, be well, everyone, and remember to wash your hands with soap–it’s still the best defense in keeping germs at bay.



  1. Vic Emerson

    April 4, 2018 at 9:34 am

    Wow sounds horrible. Wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. Well maybe a bit of it. See you soon in Cincinnati and you’re 100%

  2. Erin Focke

    April 26, 2018 at 4:54 am

    Oh man. The flu is no joke. I am glad you are doing better.

Leave a Reply